Richard Price, (British, born 1962)
April Day in Venice
Oil on canvas
51 x 61cm (20 1/16 x 24in).
The Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of Saint Mark, commonly known as Saint Mark’s Basilica, is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice, northern Italy. It is the most famous of the city’s churches and one of the best known examples of Italo-Byzantine architecture. It lies at the eastern end of the Piazza San Marco, adjacent and connected to the Doge’s Palace. Originally it was the chapel of the Doge, and has only been the city’s cathedral since 1807.
For its opulent design, gold ground mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building has been known by the nickname Chiesa d’Oro (Church of gold). More Saint Mark’s Basilica
Richard Price was born in 1962 in Upminster, Essex. At 11 years of age he started painting and drawing from observing the fishing fleet at Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. Encouraged to simply paint ‘anything’ he quickly was drawn to paint atmospheric conditions and light effects.
He later studied at Portsmouth. Price then moved to London and worked as a production design lecturer at the London International Film School. In 2001 he started to make his own images again. Encouraged by his new mentor Jon Bowen he soon resumed his painting.
Price’s work is concerned with light and atmosphere and falls within the traditions of artists such as Turner and Walter Sickert. While some of his work is done in the studio, Price is predominantly an ‘en plein air’ painter and most of his work is therefore painted immediately in front of his subject. The challenge of this type of work is in being able to rapidly analyze colour and tone at the same time as capturing the constantly moving drama of the environment. More Richard Price
Serge Mendjisky, B. 1929
VENISE, LE GRAND CANAL, c. 1989
Oil on canvas
73 by 100.2cm., 28 3/4 by 39 1/2 in.
The Grand Canal is a canal in Venice, Italy. It forms one of the major water-traffic corridors in the city. Public transport is provided by water buses and private water taxis Many tourists explore the canal by gondola.
One end of the canal leads into the lagoon near the Santa Lucia railway station and the other end leads into Saint Mark Basin; in between, it makes a large reverse-S shape through the central districts (sestieri) of Venice. More Grand Canal
Serge Mendjisky was born in 1929 in Paris. After completing his studies at the Beaux Arts in Paris, he soon became a recognized artist and exhibited in Europe, Japan and the United States. He uses photography to make his preliminary studies in painting.
In 2000, he decided to use photography as the only means of expression. He borrows the collage technique to alter photographic images and articulate its multidimensional worldview. The multiple perspectives, expressed in his collages evoke clearly the analytical phase of Cubism. After many years of technical exploration, he found a way to question not only the appearance of the world, but also our perceptual behavior.
By decomposing and recomposing the backgrounds of some of the most famous cities of the world like New York and Paris, Serge Mendjisky creates new urban landscapes which question our perceptive faculties. More Serge Mendjisky
Edward William Cooke
The Canale della Giudecca with Redentore beyond, c. 1863
Oil on paper laid on canvas
11 x 17 11/16 in
The Giudecca Canal is a body of water that flows into the San Marco basin in Venice, Italy. It is one of the major canals in the city, it bisects the sestieri of Dorsoduro, separating Giudecca island and district from Dorsoduro district. More Giudecca Canal
Edward William Cooke, R.A., F.R.S., F.Z.S., F.S.A., F.G.S. (27 March 1811 – 4 January 1880) was an English landscape and marine painter, and gardener. Cooke was born in Pentonville, London. He was raised in the company of artists. He was a precocious draughtsman and a skilled engraver from an early age, displayed an equal preference for marine subjects and published his “Shipping and Craft” – a series of accomplished engravings – when he was 18, in 1829. Cooke began painting in oils in 1833, and first exhibited at the Royal Academy and British Institution in 1835, by which time his style was essentially formed.
He went on to travel and paint with great industry at home and abroad, indulging his love of the 17th-century Dutch marine artists with a visit to the Netherlands in 1837. He returned regularly over the next 23 years, studying the effects of the coastal landscape and light, as well as the works of the country’s Old Masters, resulting in highly successful paintings. He went on to travel in Scandinavia, Spain, North Africa and, above all, to Venice. In 1858, he was elected into the National Academy of Design as an Honorary Academician. . More Edward William Cooke
ANDREW FISHER BUNNER (American, 1841-1897)
Venetian canal scene
Oil on canvas
22 x 32 in.
ANDREW FISHER BUNNER (1841 – 1897). Born in New York in 1841. From 1865 through 1868 he lived in New York and exhibited a number of works at the national Academy of Design. These works included A Summer Afternoon in Pike County, PA. (1865) and The Potomac River below Harper’s Ferry (1868). He spent the year of 1869 in New Jersey and then moved to Louisville, KY. in 1870. He exhibited Study from Nature in West Virginia at the National Academy that same year.
During the 1870’s he traveled to Europe to study and spent time in Paris and Venice. He concentrated on landscapes, often views by the riverside with a great deal of interest and detail. In 1879 he returned to New York and was living at 33 East 17th Street. Among the works he exhibited at the National Academy that year were The Riva, Venice and A Fisherman’s Cottage in the Tyrol. He remained in New York till 1883 when he returned to Venice. He lived there till 1885 and sent works each year to the National Academy for exhibition.
Bunner returned to New York in 1887 and remained there till his death in 1897. In 1900 his wife donated a group of works that Bunner produced during his trips to Venice to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. More
Charles Oppenheimer RSA RSW (British, 1875-1961)
Ponte Di Cannaregio, Venice
Oil on panel
34.5 x 45 cm. (13 3/16 x 17 1/8
The Ponte delle Guglie is one of two bridges in Venice, Italy, to span the Cannaregio Canal. It lies near the western end of the canal, by the Venezia Santa Lucia railway station.
An earlier wooden bridge was built in 1285. It was replaced by the current stone and brick bridge in 1580. It was restored in 1641 and 1677, and was totally rebuilt in 1823 at which time spires were added. The spires lie at each end of the bridge. A carved balustrade runs on either side of the walkway, and gargoyles decorate its arch. It is the only bridge in Venice adorned with spires from whence it takes its name (“Bridge of Spires”). More The Ponte delle Guglie
Charles Oppenheimer RSA RSW, 1875 – 1961. Few Scottish artists are so closely associated with a town or location as Charles Oppenheimer is with Kirkcudbright. He was however not a native Scot having been born in Manchester and only settling in the town when in his mid thirties. Other artists of the Kirkcudbright School, Hornel, MacGeorge and Mouncey found their subject matter in the surrounding Galloway landscape and paid little attention to the beautiful old town where they lived. Oppenheimer as a keen fisherman also spent many hours on the local rivers and lochs, but he produced his best and most memorable work painting in Kirkcudbright itself.More Charles Oppenheimer
He was a prize-winning student at Manchester School of Art, and his first picture was exhibited at the Manchester Academy of Fine Arts in 1894. His studies also took him to Italy.
Ken Howard R.A. (British, born 1932)
From San Tomà, Venice
Oil on canvas
12 x 16 inches
San Tomà is a church which is located in the sestiere of San Polo in Venice, Italy. It stands opposite the Scoletta dei Calegheri. More
Kenneth Howard OBE RA (born 26 December 1932) is an English artist and painter. He was President of the New English Art Club from 1998 to 2003.
Ken Howard was born in London. He studied at the Hornsey College of Art (1949–53) and the Royal College of Art (1955–58). In 1958 he won a British Council Scholarship to Florence. He spent his National Service in the Royal Marines (1953–55). In 1973 and 1978 he was the Official War Artist to Northern Ireland, and 1973–80 worked in various locations, including Hong Kong, Cyprus and Canada with the British Army. In 1983 he was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy (ARA). In 1998 he became President of the New English Art Club, a post he held until 2003. In 1991 he was elected a Royal Academician (RA).
He paints in a “traditional” manner, based on strong observation and a high degree of draughtsmanship combined with tonal precision. The depiction of light is a strong and recurrent element of his work. A notable theme is the nude model in his studio. Another theme is a city scene, such as Venice, with emphasis placed on the reflection of light from puddles after rain. He has said:
Howard was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2010 Birthday Honours More
KEN HOWARD RA RWS ROI NEAC (B.1932)
The Ospidale S. Giovanni & Paolo, Venice (2010)
Oil on canvas
45½ x 30½cm (18 x 12in)
The Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, known in Venetian as San Zanipolo, is a church in the Castello sestiere of Venice, Italy.
One of the largest churches in the city, it has the status of a minor basilica. After the 15th century the funeral services of all of Venice’s doges were held here, and twenty-five doges are buried in the church.
The huge brick edifice was designed in the Italian Gothic style, and completed in the 1430s. It is the principal Dominican church of Venice, and as such was built to hold large congregations. It is dedicated to John and Paul, not the Biblical Apostles of the same names, but two obscure martyrs of the Early Christian church in Rome, whose names were recorded in the 3rd century but whose legend is of a later date.
In 1246, Doge Jacopo Tiepolo donated some swampland to the Dominicans after dreaming of a flock of white doves flying over it. The first church was demolished in 1333, when the current church was begun. It was not completed until 1430. More
KEN HOWARD RA RWS ROI NEAC (B.1932), see above
Martín Rico y Ortega, 1833-1908
Oil on panel
8 5/8 by 6 1/4 in.; 22.1 by 15.9 cm
Martín Rico y Ortega (12 November 1833, El Escorial – 13 April 1908, Venice, Italy) was a Spanish painter of landscapes and cityscapes. Rico was one of the most important artists of the second half of the nineteenth century in his native country, and enjoyed wide international recognition.
Rico was born in Madrid and received his earliest formal training at the city’s Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando, where he studied under Jenaro Pérez Villaamil, the Academy’s first professor of landscape painting. Under the tutelage of Pérez Villaamil, Rico’s earliest works show him influenced by Romanticism, the style for which his teacher was known. In 1860, having been awarded a government-sponsored scholarship, Rico moved to Paris to continue his studies.
His landscapes from this decade depict the French and Swiss countryside in a fully accomplished Realist style. Toward the end of 1870, due to political and social unrest caused by the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War, Rico decided to leave France and return to his native Spain.
At the invitation of his good friend and colleague Marià Fortuny, Rico moved to the southern city of Granada, joining Fortuny and his wife Cecilia, as well as the painter Ricardo de Madrazo. The three artists worked closely during this period, with the styles of Rico and Fortuny overlapping so much that their watercolors—a specialty for both artists—were often confused for one another. It was during this time that, through Fortuny’s influence, Rico’s paintings began to reveal a newfound sense of luminosity and color. His time in Andalucía was, according to his memoirs, one of his happiest, and also one of his most artistically productive periods. More Ortega
Franz Richard Unterberger (Austrian, 1838-1902)
Canale San Barnaba, Venise
Oil on canvas
92 x 71cm (36 1/4 x 27 15/16in)
The church of San Barnaba is a small Neoclassic-style church in district of Dorsoduro in Venice, It is located in Campo San Barnaba. It is dedicated to the Apostle Saint Barnabas.
A church at the site was built in the ninth century, but destroyed by fire in 1105. Rebuilt in 1350, it was reconstructed in present form in 1776. The 11th-century campanile, detached from the main body of the church, has a pine-cone shaped spire from the 1300s.
The church was used as a library in the 1989 film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, acting as the entrance to the tomb of a Grail Knight. More San Barnaba Church
The canal is in a quiet area of Venice. On the banks of the canal are many architecturally beautiful and colorful houses. San Barnaba is a quiet place to monitor the gondolas that pass through the canal.
Barnabas, born Joseph and Akylah, was an early Christian, one of the prominent Christian disciples in Jerusalem. Barnabas was a Cypriot Jew. Named an apostle in Acts 14:14, he and Paul the Apostle undertook missionary journeys together and defended Gentile converts against the Judaizers. They traveled together making more converts, and participated in the Council of Jerusalem
Although the date, place, and circumstances of his death are historically unverifiable, Christian tradition holds that Barnabas was martyred at Salamis, Cyprus, in AD 61. He is traditionally identified as the founder of the Cypriot Orthodox Church. More Barnabas
Franz Richard Unterberger was born on August 15, 1838 in Innsbruck, Australia; Died May 25, 1902; Neuilly-sur-Seine, France. He was one of 11 children of an art dealer. Unterberger started his studies in 1853 at the Munich Academy, alongside Julius Lange and Albert Zimmerman. In 1860, Franz continued his studies at Düsseldorf, which was the favored academy for Scandinavian painters studying abroad. Here he produced several atmospheric mountainous scenes. By the 1870’s Unterberger was already exhibiting in major cities across Europe including: Paris, Boston, Munich, Brussels, Berlin and Vienna among others.
In the mid 1880’s, Franz exhibited in Venezuela and in London at the International Universal Exhibition. In the 1890’s, most of his paintings revolved around Venetian and South Italian scenes. More Franz Richard Unterberger
Benjamin Brown, 1865 – 1942
Watercolor on paper under glass
13.25 x 10.5 in
Benjamin Chambers Brown (July 14, 1865 – January 19, 1942) was a California Impressionist landscape artist. He was one of their five children. He grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas. Brown was trained as a photographer. He studied at the University of Tennessee, and later at the St. Louis School of Fine Arts under Paul Harney and John Fry in 1884. He studied in Paris at the Académie Julian under Jean-Paul Laurens and Jean-Joseph Benjamin-Constant in 1890.
During his early career, Brown traveled and worked in St. Louis, Little Rock and Texas. In St. Louis, Brown taught at the St. Louis Art School. He went on to open his own school in Little Rock. He initially specialized in portraiture and still life. Upon moving to Pasadena in 1896, he began to paint landscapes. By 1905 he had become famous for his paintings. From 1909 to 1910, Brown had a studio in Mill Valley, California.
His first etchings were done in 1914. He co-founded the Print Makers of Los Angeles with his brother Howell in 1914, which later became the Los Angeles Society of Printmakers. His notable works include his impressionist landscapes of Sierra peaks and field poppies.
Brown tried to sell his artwork in New York City; however, it did not sell as well as it had in California. Instead of opening a studio in the city, he began to sign California under his own signature to show how proud he was to be a Californian, in spite of potential stigmas. More Benjamin Chambers Brown
‘HENRY P. SMITH’, 1854 – 1907
Villa on a Venetian Canal
Oil on panel
24 by 20 inches (61 by 50.8 cm)
Henry Pember Smith (February 20, 1854 – October 16, 1907) was an American painter, best known for his depictions of country cottages and river scenes around Lyme and East Lyme, Connecticut, and paintings of the sea and shore in New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Cape Ann to Maine.
Smith was born in Waterford, Connecticut. During the 1880s, he studied the Old Masters in Paris, Brittany, Normandy, Venice and along the English Cornish coast. He was a member of the Artists’ Fund Society and the American Water Color Society, and exhibited at the National Academy of Design from 1877-1896, 1899, 1901, 1906; the Brooklyn Art Club (1878-1885, 1892); Boston Art Club (1880-1890); Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art (1881, 1888); and the Art Institute of Chicago. Smith died of heart disease in Asbury, New Jersey. More
Ken Howard R.A. (British, born 1932)
Oil on canvas
15 x 60.5cm (5 7/8 x 23 13/16in).
Ken Howard R.A. (British, born 1932) studied at Hornsey School of Art from 1949 to 1953. He then did his National Service with the Royal Marines before returning to study at the Royal College of Art from 1955 to 1958. He went on to win a British Council Scholarship to Florence from 1958 to 1959.
Howard’s first solo show was held at the Plymouth Art Centre in 1955. Subsequent exhibitions were held in 1966 and 1968 at the John Whibley Gallery. From then on he exhibited extensively, both nationally and internationally, particularly with the New Grafton Gallery from the early 1970s. He was given a retrospective in 1972 at the Plymouth City Art Gallery and in 1973 and 1979 was appointed by the Imperial War Museum as official artist in Northern Ireland. He also worked with the British Army in Germany, Cyprus, Oman, Hong Kong, Nepal, Norway, Canada, Belize and Brunei from 1973 to 1982.
Howard was elected a member of the New English Art Club in 1962, the Royal Institute of Oil Painters in 1966, the Royal Society of Painters in Watercolours in 1979, the Royal West of England Academy 1981, Honorary Member of the Royal Society of British Artists in 1988, Royal Academician in 1991 and President of the New English Art Club in 1998. Among his numerous awards are First Prize in the Lord Mayor’s Art Award in 1966, a Prize Winner in the John Moores Exhibition, Liverpool in 1978, first prize in the Hunting Group Awards and the Critics Prize at Sparkasse Karlsruhe in 1985. Ken Howard lives and works in London. More
Acknowledgement: Bonhams, and others
Images are copyright of their respective owners, assignees or others
We do not sell art prints, framed posters or reproductions. Ads are shown only to compensate the hosting expenses.
If you enjoyed this post, please share with friends and family.